View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

Hi Rob - Moonlite Focusers make a short focuser with stepper motor that fits the Mewlons - it works at F12 and with the CR at f10. But in an attempt to gain more back focus distance I am currently looking into replacing the motor in the Mewlon with a stepper motor and controller.

Question - do you really need a large acreage camera - even at f7.2 the Mewlon is not really suited for the big pics - that's the territory of the Tak 106 & 85 Q's. One reason I bought my M250 was to reach the smaller galaxies and Planetary Nebulae. Currently I have 3 SBIG cameras ST8 - ST2000XCM and ST83000 and I find them adequate for images I take - but if I was starting out fresh I would go with the ST10. I know a lot of people would throw their hands up in horror at the thought of a NABG camera but it's high QE makes it a good choice for the M250 - especially at f10 and the blooms are not that difficult to handle.

Lastly if you intend to start imaging using narrowband filters then you will most likely need to develop some sort of off axis guiding system.

Geof