Thread: [WITHDRAWN] Vixen R200SS - BARGAIN PRICE
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I cleaned the mirrors properly today. My results are:

a. Primary: 95% or better. Some small radial scratches from someone cleaning it improperly. The "copper" I saw was incorrect cleaning - fluid residue left on mirror from improper technique of not dabbing and removing cleaner, but rather smearing it. There is NO mirror aluminisation loss whatsoever.

b. Secondary: 90% or better. Again, improper cleaning. Oily smears and a whacking big palm print left on one corner. Cleaning revealed a clean mirror, but again small scratches. There is mold etch extant - whenever the mold was cleaned off, it was done incorrectly and the mold had etched the glass. Maybe 5 spots, about 0.5mm diameter. Generally insignificant. This scope had lived in the QLD tropics, and this has caused the mold.

When I removed the scope from the box, a small M3 screw fell out of the tube from behind the primary. This is what I believe may have caused some of the mirror scratches, as well as the bad cleaning regime.

Additionally, the tube interior black is stained, scratched, and has white crazing. I will need to either flock it or paint it with Black2.0

I have started to pretty up certain aspects, and have cut the dual speed focuser plate to correct dimensions. The focuser has now been regreased, as it had NONE - that leaked INTO the tube as mentioned above from storage in the hot tropics.

This will be Cats-Eye collimated on Friday with Kunama's help.

If this does not sell by Friday 12pm, I will be withdrawing it and using it for School Outreach - who cares if a kid fingers it, pours Coke on it?

The price will NOT be lowered, and it will NOT be given away, so vultures need not circle

This scope - warts and all - is growing on me daily.

Last edited by LewisM; 02-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.