View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
tomtom

Sorta late here, but....

Your observing LOCATION: Palm Cove, side of the mountain/coast road.

Ease of ACCESS to observing location (road closures, congestion, info on suggested observing locations and access, transport difficulties etc.)? Fine, got there the night before and wasn't much traffic.
Any PROBLEMS AT OBSERVING LOCATION (crowding, tides, streetlights, information on available facilities, information on or any unexpected dangers or annoyances)? Not really. I did think my tent was going to get blown off the cliff, as it was really windy the night before. Tied it to my motorbike and went back to sleep haha
I suppose the cars and trucks driving on the road 5 metres from me were a potential danger....

Access to WEATHER info? Nil, I didn't watch TV or have internet or radio.
Did you RELOCATE due weather and any problems with that? Nope
Comment on EYE SAFETY MESSAGES (good or bad, visible or invisible, availability of eclipse glasses etc.)? Nothing really except on the website which I didn't see advertised anywhere. Actually I honestly can't remember seeing a single advertisement of any kind, just around the streets, shops etc. I also did not see any eclipse glasses being sold, anywhere! Just got lucky that the beautiful family parked next to me at viewing location had a spare welder's mask glass piece.
ACCOMMODATION (ease of, or any problems in arranging, comment on cost, suitability, etc.)? Average. Got overcharged (IMO) in Cairns one night. I camped for the rest of the nights I spent around there and I am glad I didn't get bothered by anyone; cops or random people.
Did you attend any of the ORGANISED EVENTS centered on the eclipse (Music festival, Marathon, Port Douglas eclipse festival etc.) and any good or bad comments? Nope.
What could have been managed better? Selling of merchandise.
Anything that went well that you want to comment on? Nope.
Overall, did you leave with a positive or negative IMPRESSION OF THE REGION? Overall positive. Great weather most of the time, nice people generally. I'd love to live there. Not in Cairns, but Palm Cove, Port Douglas or further down around Innisfail etc.
ABOUT YOU:
Where did you come from (Aus state or country)? Vic.
On an eclipse tour or independent travel? Independant, rode motorbike up. Oh BTW, the roadworks EVERYWHERE (literally everywhere!) were really terrible, could have chosen a better time for it. On the motorbike I had to spend many many km's on gravel roads (roads had been pulled up) and that was horrible.
Previous eclipse experience (totals) first eclipse, 1 - 5, 5+, etc? First one