View Single Post
Old 23-08-2019, 09:51 AM
andyc (Andy)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Looking at this again this morning on my PC bigger screen and the details are outstanding. Can you elaborate on the gear and settings/ I gathered that to be able to stack the planet and the moon limb from the same video you must have been shooting at a very fast frame rate? Did you barlow or native FL. That looks like over 4m FL.
Marc and Steve, sure, I'm happy to elaborate. It was my usual C14 & ASI290MM set-up, but with no Barlow in place (the FoV with the Barlow is tiny), so about 4m f.l. I recorded using ~1300x950 pixels, most of the chip, but that was only because I barely got set up in time and that was how it was set (too much messing around with other options)!

Capture was 88fps, 277 gain - this exposed Saturn pretty well, but overexposed the Moon. I had Firecapture take continuous sets of 45s IR videos (4000 frames each), but again that was because I was still using old settings. Though it was useful to make each video less huge (they were still each 4.5GB).

After the rush of capture, processing wasn't so bad
Obviously the moving Moon was going to be a problem, so I used PIPP to divide the videos into the overlapping 1000 frame blocks, each covering ~11s. On Autostakkert I set for 'surface' image stabilisation, placing the anchor over the partially-hidden Saturn (the 'planet's one doesn't work because the Moon is too bright). Once through the 'Analyse' step, I set some alignment points only on the planet, and stacked 60% of the frames, before sharpening in Registax. I did not expect them to come out anything like as well as this! With the gap between planet and overexposed Moon, I could have placed some chunky alignment points on the Moon to get that sharper (even though overexposed), but I'd processed too many of the individual blocks before I thought of that
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (occ.jpg)
186.5 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (occ2.jpg)
196.0 KB13 views