View Single Post
Old 26-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
I agree with Tony, you are definitely doing something wrong with your processing. Using the 500 rule you should be able to expose for about 4 seconds without star trailing using a 90mm lens on your Sony Alpha a58. I know it's not much more than you've been giving your subs but where do you get this 3.2 seconds from? Open your lens up to f 2.8, focus using live view, set your ISO to 3200iso or 6400iso if you want to, after all, with 300 subs I doubt you should see any noise when you stack that many and expose your subs for 4 seconds.

You should be able to pull the gradient up in DSS to see many more stars than what you're achieving at the moment. The background shouldn't be jet black. You're killing the fainter stars by doing so and any nebulosity associated with them. I'd like to see one of your single subs straight from the camera. You seem keen enough, so why not have a go with the 55mm lens and try a 15 second sub, 3200iso at f2, it should reveal heaps of stars! Good luck.

Am I missing something here. I'd love to post a full size straight out of the camera shot but it is way over the size limit ?

I will be going out with the 18-55. My wife tells me I'm a dog with a bone. I'll keep at it.
Brian