View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Thanks for that info Ray. I always use Darks shot at the same gain, offset, duration, and temperature. My bias frames are also shot with the same gain, offset, and temperature.
I have Dark and Bias Library sets for what are becoming the standard settings that i favour. If i stray outside those settings i add new Darks and Bias frames to equate. So i have these various Master Darks and Master Bias that i add to DSS and do not have to restack/process each time. Hot pixel detection in DSS is used, as well as cosmetic cold and hot cleanup in final stacked filter image.
I haven't notice what you identified in my images but welcome Peter or anyone else reviewing them.
using your disciplined approach, there will not be an issue . Although I regularly take new bias data, I have been trying out various gain settings, depending on conditions - and have often ended up with less than perfectly matched dark calibration data. The old approach of using whatever darks were fairly close and letting PI sort out the scaling/details is no longer an option . eg, For one image that showed slight residual hot pixels, I had combined data taken at gain50/300s, gain100/300s, gain100/600s and gain200/600s. I had darks taken at gain200/600, but had tried to use scaled darks taken at gain100/600 for the rest - it didn't work perfectly.

Last edited by Shiraz; 04-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.