View Single Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Hmm... Photoshop is one of the most complex pieces of desktop software in existence. Its incredible level of integration into other Adobe products within the Creative Suite adds to its own power, and you can't beat the suite in a professional environment. I know - I make my living from it and depend on it daily. It costs what it does because it is superbly capable and predictable in what it does.

GIMP is not a replacement for Photoshop - without the external GEGL libraries it still works in low-rent 8-bit colour - and even then it doesn't yet expolit the full capabilities of GEGL. It can't separate RGB images into CMYK colour space for printing without doing it de-constructively. There is still no (I believe) native 64-bit binary yet available for Windows. Its single document interface is still hopeless, opening transparencies (layers) all over the place - depending on the host OS. Lots of development required yet before it will compete shoulder to shoulder with Photoshop. If all you're doing is taking images from your camera and preparing them for web-display, then fine...unless you want to keep most of the colour.