View Single Post
Old 18-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
There might be a possibility that the worm gear is not seated properly. When the gear is engaged it seems well locked off but there seems to be the tiniest of movements. However, that might just be the depth of the worm in gear not being quite right. When I changed the worm gear I thought I had everything seated well but it might just be a very small fraction out of place. I will check this just to make sure. It's a remote possibility but worth checking anyway.

Its possible but my PMX has a slight amount of rock in it too and it doesn't seem to come into play.

It could also be the cam pin and I will check this at the same time.

Thinking about it I think all the cam pin does is set the amount of push of the worm onto the gear wheel so it will slip under load rather than wreck the gears.

The top screws are the ones that adjust the tension of the worm onto the gear wheel and will prevent it from slipping if too tight but will stall the motor or if too loose then the gears will slip too easily. 2.25 to 2.5 turns up from fully screwed in is what SB says they should be at.

The belt I think is the correct tension but it will be checked at the same time.

There is one other possibility and that might be the PMX cannot support the load and it might be time to change over the PME to the dome and put the PMX into the roll off roof so that is carrying the FSQ only. I would not have thought this would be a problem but it might part of the issue. It is a drastic step to undertake.

In any event I will need to eliminate all possible contingencies and whatever remains will be the likely cause. Another bug hunt.
Not being able to handle the load is possible also although I would have though that would show up more as elongated stars rather than an oscillation. I am finding the PMX is not handling the RHA very easily and that weighs around 33kgs plus the 30kgs of counter weights. It can but everything has to be spot on.[/QUOTE]

So it is unlikely this is the cause of the problem but I will check it just for the sake of completeness.