Thread: Auto guiders
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I had no end of trouble with the 2 QHY 5's I had trying to get Windows to recognise them (XP and 7). With the Orion SSAG, no problem at all (yet same camera!). Lodestar was TOO simple - seamless, faultless - every programme I have saw it, connected to it, used it.

So, Lodestar it will be for me when I don't use the dual chip on my SBIG (guide with the dual chip for RGB, and Lodestar for the H-a subs)
yes, the QHY5 driver process used to be difficult, but now it just requires one driver instal, one update instal and then plug in your camera and away you go - at least in Vista, Win7, Win8 and 8.1 pro in my experience. The ASCOM driver is also easy and is recognised by everything I have used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I feel the short tube guidescopes are QC rejects from their el-cheapo achromat line. Hated every thing about the Orion one I had - the mini-finder guider worked 100x better!
You could be right, but the guide scope image has to be sort of just passable, not good quality at all. the main issue is likely to be mechanical stability of the focuser and dollops of araldite can help there .