Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
There were rumours of the eariier "EQ7" design being shelved and the EQ8 being "rushed" out in its place, re-using much of the CGE Pro (which is also a Synta product). But perhaps they were just rumours ...
Probably just rumours, as I have heard a couple of differing stories. From what I know, the story appears to be a little more complicated, apparently? I think we will never truly know what the story is, as Synta are not overly forthcoming about such matters. It matters not anyway, as the EQ8 is here now.

Price wise, at $4,300 (BTOW's price) it appears to be great value. I expect that the CGE Pro is probably quite expensive in comparison. Mind you, the old CGE Pro price was such that I would never have considered it anyway, as the price of the Paramount was much more attractive, given the differences. But, that will all change now that our dollar is heading south, as some analysts are predicting it will hit 80 cents, or lower, by years end. Great for exporters, but not so great for those wanting astro gear, never mind the extra costs for fuel to get to your favourite dark sky site. Just hope it doesn't dive to its previous low levels of 47 cents.

I am just glad I bought my US dollars for my upcoming trip to the US in July/August, as I got an actual exchange rate of 101.8. I bought enough to to pay for the trip and to buy some gear whilst there, so I was lucky I bought it when I did, literally the day before it began to take a dive below parity. The highlight of the trip will be my attending the Stellafane Telescope Makers Conference in August; something I have wanted to do for years and thought with the dollar where it was, it was this year or never.

Cheers Peter