View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
What is the portability of the EM200 like vs a EQ6 or G11?
My EQ6 weighs a ton and us a bit unweildy to move around.
The other thing is I've read a lot about the EM200 having a great polar scope and being really easy to align, but does that hold true for us southern hemisphere folks?
I've been wondering about the EM200 for my LX200R 10" SCT.

Hi Peter,

You need to remember that the Tak Mounts do not come with a inbuilt tripod.

You typically buy the Motor Drive, Mount Adapter and either the Wooden or Metal Tripod to suit.

Personally I reckon that the EM200 plus the Tak wooden tripod is stable and relatively easy to maneuver. Especially if separated.

I have the Tak Heavy Duty Metal Tripod (About $2000-2500 just for the tripod alone) to be excellent.

Comparatively the EM400 Drive Unit is a heavy beast but is still relatively easy for me to move around but too heavy for my wife to maneuver confidently. As a combined unit with the tripod it is maneuverable, but you would not want to go far.

The polar scope in both are great. For the EM200 I believe that you can get an updated polar scope fitted nowdays for Southern Hemisphere use if you have an older unit. Otherwise a new EM200 is setup for Southern Hemisphere usage.

Not sure what the comparative weight for a EM200 vs EQ6 as I have never used or owned an EQ6.

One thing to keep in mind is cost of EQ6 compared to Cost of EM200.

A new EQ6 with tripod is approx $2000.00
A new G11 + HD tripod is approx$5000.00
A new EM200 + HD Wooden tripod is approx $9000.00

Is the EM200 really worth the additional $7000.00??? and at $9000.00 you are getting close to Paramount MX pricing and many would go Paramount MX over EM200.

Much food for thought there

Cheers