View Single Post
Old 15-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Depends on the guider type and guiding scope FL. With a QHY5 guiding through a finder or an ED80 at prime focus (600mm FL) or a newt 5" F/5 at 650mm FL I never had a problem finding a bright enough star at 1s and over, even 3s. With an OAG on the C11 at F/10 (2800mmFL), 1s would be the minimum to pick up a star with the QHY5. With the SX-lodestar I can pick up stars at F/10 still with 0.5s exposures if I take darks. That's what works for me with my G11.

I have been until now guiding with a ed80 and an imaging source camera the mono 640 x 480 version, and have found situations where no suitable guidestar was found. Note I have recently purchased a faster scope to try to help somewhat, having had good succsess with 1 sec guiding I have been reluctant to extend beyond that,

What I am trying to qualify, is how far out one can extend the guide time, with respect to my mount or a similar one....... I have to confess I have not done a periodic error measurement on the worms I have but it seems pretty reasonable, given I have had no issues with out of round stars with the 132 scope. Using PHD guiding which has performed fine

I note you had 3 sec updates..... How well did that go?

Clive