View Single Post
Old 20-04-2008, 07:12 PM
WeeGraeme

Finderscope Question

I think I tried following the directions on the article posted by Michael V on how to setup the finderscope, but I seem to be having a problem. I tried this afternoon, but couldn't even see the paper on a tree. I just tried to set it, looking at a star tonight without success. I'm not sure if it's a problem with me or the telescope.

The telescope is a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. I aimed it at a star. (Actually, if I want to be 100% accurate at my level of knowledge, I aimed it at a very bright object in the sky.) It was nearly overhead and slightly to the west about half an hour ago. Near it, slightly to the south, there was another object which was less bright. I don't know how to properly describe distances in the sky, so would it be too silly of me to say that at arms length, I could fit my index finger between them, from the tip to the second joint.

That's about as close as I could get the telescope and the findersope. The telescope was aimed at the bright object. When looking through the finder scope (which is mounted on the right side of the telescope) I could see the dimmer object to the left.

Does that make any sense? I'm just trying to work out if I have a lack of understanding or if it sounds like the telescope isn't setup properly. The lack of knowledge I can work on. I'm concerned that configuring the telescope is potentially hazardous to the working of the telescope.

I'd appreciate any comments.