View Single Post
Old 22-02-2019, 10:57 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

hi Alex,
it has been a long while since I contributed to IIS, or even read any of your posts, but it is very good to hear from you again and it is very good to note how your thinking on scientific issues has progressively evolved to become very sophisticated.

I have mentioned, in my first post in this thread, a few of the 'elephants in the cupboard', that is, unknowns, in cosmology. But the "biggest elephant" may be the unanswered question of whether or not the universe is actually infinite, and the question of the true nature of what can be found beyond the part of the universe that is currently detectable by humans.

It is usually assumed that the universe is infinite, that it goes on for ever and ever in all directions, which of course would mean that, by definition, the currently observable (by people on planet Earth) region of about 20 billion light years in diameter is only the tiniest fraction of the entire universe. And this implies that conditions in some of the vast regions that lie outside of the observable region could conceivably be vastly different from those that are found inside the observable region;
in cosmological theorizing, there is currently no reason to have any certainty about the physical structures and physical laws existing in that part of space which is beyond the region of space that humans can currently observe.

cheers,
Robert