View Single Post
Old 25-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
BITRE has published a paper on some recent modelling of EV uptake and factors that influence choice. Worth a read if you want to understand the data.
I just had a look at the BITRE .pdf

A BMW M5 petrol engine has 1,200+ parts, weighs more than 181 kg . 150 moving parts can get the car from 0-100kph in 3.4 seconds. The engine requires hundreds of suppliers and workers to assemble. Plus another small army to maintain and service the 150 moving bits, and all the secondary systems.

The electric-vehicle motor produced in the same factory has just 24 parts in total, can be lifted by a single person and does not need an exhaust, transmission, or fuel tank. Just battery cells which have a price that is in free-fall at present.

Yet, the battery car can out accelerate BMW's fastest performance car from a traffic light. The business case for EV's is clear. Simpler, cheaper and faster. Making internal combustion cars will soon make as much business sense as making the finest horse and buggy whip.

I would happily bet an excellent bottle of scotch that the BRITE analysis and predictions are flawed (I'd bet the 99.99% of bureaucrats who did all those lovely charts and ANOVA stats have never dropped a gearbox and changed a clutch in their lives) and proven wrong within five years...