View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
All those problens are now sorted out and silver mirrors are passing the tape `adhesion' test with flying colours. The enhanced silver coating is very simple - silver then a layer of Quartz ( very hard ) then a single layer of another material deposited by Ion deposition. You unfortunately got the first coating that had apparently not been tape tested ( which would have shown there was a fault . and the fault in the process has since been corrected.

I now have 2 12" mirrors in service with both plain Quartz and enhanced silver and i will be seeing how they compare in terms of longevity. Just passing on what I know about all this. it was great of Peter of SDM to send your faulty mirror immediately to another coater to get you up and running again and as far as I know you didn't personally suffer other than having your scope out of action for a while.
it would be interesting to see how long these new? coatings last, I have a 5 year old galaxy mirror, where they doing those mirrors with the quartz overcoat then? if someone can tell me thanks