View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
DJ N

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Do you use a headlamp? I often have to smack myself across the knuckles when I turn away from something and glance across at the scope while it's imaging because 9 times out of 10, I have the headlamp switched on and the rear end of the scope cops a blast. The colour of these artifacts in your images does not really reek of "red" such as red from a screen protector. it does seem to be more 'white' light doesn't it? So I'd be looking for a light source that was more white than coloured.

The other thing I was going to mention is that most of the artifacts from out-of-image brioght stars that I have experienced have tended to be strongly ovaloid whereas these are quite distinctly round/circular. The other type of artifact is the ray type that you can get from Alnitak and/or Alnilam when doing a horsehead - these take the form of pronounced rays
Peter.
Hi Peter,

I do wear a red LED headlamp, however I do not use it whilst the camera is imaging. I will further investigate to see if there is a possible light source. Could be reflections off neighbours lights inside the obs. Will keep investigating!!