View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:30 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
The first thing that struck me about these reflections is that they all appear to be very similar in terms of their radius and number of 'lines/elements' in them. If they were induced by out-of-image stars, I would expect more variability in both. Another possibility you may like to investigate is that the light is not coming from in front, but from behind the scope - most focusers' draw-tubes have a clearance of varying width between the tube and the body of the focuser. If light was shining towards the back of the scope from behind, some would find it's way up the drawtube and be subject to reflection back to the imaging plane off the back surfaces of - whatever.
Since you found the artifact did not appear in an image where the scope was pointing south and a fair way off vertical, it may be worth looking at where your laptop screen was pointing and any other light source behind the scope.
Just a thought.
Peter
Yes, I came across this problem a couple of months ago. While the reflections were not the same they were similar in nature to the images posted.