View Single Post
Old 18-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
Hi Doug,
Thanks for the helpful comments, I actually got the urge to try Ha from reading some of your earlier posts.

One small question; apart from Ha is there any "simple" role for other wavelength filters (Hb, OIII, etc) to help augment the OSC RGB, again, for nebs and galaxy type work.

And finally; Should I keep the existing IR cut filter in place when using Ha, etc?
You can use the QHY8 with any NB filters just as you would with a mono camera. These images after debayering and converted to grayscale can be used just the same way to compile NB images such as Hubble pallet etc. You simply need a set of Ha, OIII, and SII filters and a bit of time to capture the images and process them. You may need to take a few more or slightly longer exposures to get the same result as a mono camera but it is quite reasonable to expect good results despite what some will tell you.

In most cases the IR filter can be removed as most filters these days have a built in blocking filter. I always left mine in place due to the fact that my IR filter was the seal on the camera, and I just screwed the NB filters on the front of the camera adapter with the IR filter already in place.

The biggest problem to overcome is the repositioning of the camera after removing it to change filters. I used a pencil to mark the camera and focuser tube so the images were pretty close to aligned.

Hope this helps.