View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

BAM600 - John Bambury's Southern Skies Observing List

Hi all,

About three years ago I put together an observing list of 600 (Southern Skies) targets. This list was for the benefit of the Northern hemisphere observers who travel down here to observe. As 3RF volunteers we host these people on a regular basis. The list is limited to targets with a declination South of + 50 degrees. I have selected the brightest and IMO, the most visually interesting targets. However, a few of them will be tough in small scopes

The list includes targets from all categories. I have uploaded the file as a zipped Excel File. The Excel spreadsheet contains all the information you need to allow you to re sort the file however you like. By RA, Dec, Object Type, Magnitude, Surface Brightness etc. I also have the file as a text delimited file for uploading as a User defined catalogue to Argo Navis. If anyone doesn't know how to create the delimited text file and wants a copy for uploading to their unit, send me an email or PM and I will send it to you.

All I ask is that if you use the list or post any references to the list, you acknowledge the source. Many hours of work went into compiling it.

There are a couple of minor errors which eminated from the source data, but these do not affect the use of the list in any way.

Cheers,
John B

{EDIT BY ICEMAN}
This list and associated files have now been incorporate into the following article:
BAM600 - John Bambury's Southern Skies Observing List

Please use the article to download the files, as you can be sure it'll always be the latest version.

Last edited by iceman; 20-05-2011 at 04:49 PM.