View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 08:33 AM
gregbradley

I have used camera lenses on a range of CCD cameras.

My current one is a FLI adapter that screws into the FLI filter wheel (it used to clip the filters and stop them from turning so I had to grind it down a bit).

That particular adapter is for Nikon F. Then any ebay adapter to Nikon mount allowed the mount of different brand lenses.

Depending on how large the lens is you may also need a lens mounting ring to stop flex and wobbles. The mount adapter may not be all that strong.

More of an issue perhaps when you start using 200-300mm lenses.

In my case the FLI Nikon lens adapter is a bit of a fail if I were giving it a rating. The lenses do not click stop and can continue to rotate and come off.
Its too thick but everything comes to focus.

Pick lenses with manual aperture ring (not many Canikon's have that),
also with a nice focuser ring with as much travel as possible as you may be manually focusing. Temperature and focus shift seems much less of an issue with lenses.

Here are the lenses I have found to be good:

Nikon 55 F1.8G
Nikon 50 F1.8 (older lens not latest)
Nikon 105 F2.5 AIS
Pentax 67 75 F4.5, 165 F2.8 ( a very good one and sharp wide open)

I haven't used many Canon's. I had a few Canon FD but they were pretty ordinary. I imagine the Canon ef 50 1.8 would be good as its virtually identical to the Nikon. The range of 35 to 200mm should be good.

Pentax 67 lenses are cheap and have something like 85mm of backfocus which is about the most of any lens system. They also will cover a 16803 chip with round stars to the corners as they were designed for 60 x 70mm film.

Ultrawide lenses are not so easy to use. I tried to mount a Nikon 14-24 and it was a mess.

A QSI583 would take just about any lens as that is a micro 4/3rds size sensor so it does require a large corrected circle. Many lenses though are poor wide open in the corners and astro work really shows this up. Terrestial imaging is far less demanding by comparison. So don't expect your favourite L lens to necessarily perform. It might or it might not.

Greg.