View Single Post
Old 21-03-2024, 04:25 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Renato my advice is don't go the different distance focus on each eye , it will encourage monocular vision . Remeber if you get a distance setting for each eye you will only be using optimally one eye for each task ! A friend of mine had reading on left eye and they made it too weak and he has to wear a contact lens for normal daytime . If you already use glasses for distance you will need to get both eyes done as you can't wear glasses for one eye .

I'd recommend just get distance both eyes and use readers for computer etc . That way there is no discretion about how much your corrective difference they'll give you because vision is such a personal thing .

I had my right eye done four months ago and now my left in two days .
My surgeon tried to push blue blocking lenses as older people have yellow lenses anyway - but this gives you a very skewed colour balance . I insisted on clear lenses ( Zeiss ) and the world look much more colorful and stunning now - I have much better blue and violet response . Bright stars look twice as bright as my left now ( and I have no cataract in the left eye ) .

I have some astronomy glasses made up with 0.5 dioptre astigmatism which was residual after healing from surgery ,and 0.5 dioptre to correct the usual night myopia most people have .

Contrast in the Milky Way is stunning- even the brightest stars are needle points and I can see 6 to 7 stars in the Pleiades and most large star clusters show stars flickering in and out . I actually cried when I saw a dark sky with my new eye for the first time - it was that overwhelming after dealing with the deterioration in my right eye over 18 months . Remided me of the views I had of the sky when I first became interested in Astronomy 50 years ago.

Hope this helps .
Thanks very much for your insights Mark.

I didn't know there was such a thing as Blue Blocking lenses - I occasionally use Blue blocking glasses, as I'm blue eyed and get teary-eyed when driving at night when it's raining, from other cers' headlights. Never use them otherwise, except for cutting pieces of them to stick on eyepieces to sharpen views in refractors.

I didn't know there were Zeiss lenses either.

It will be interesting, as I'm only getting one eye done, while the other has astigmatism, but can still see close and pretty far.

When you talk about your experience seeing the sky properly, it gives me something to enthusiastically look forward to (in a trepid fashion). I have a pair of Vixen 2.3x glasses I bought off a chap here, and the view hasn't been any good so far. Might be mighty interesting what the view through them will be like after the opration.

I've had my eyes measured, but the Doctor hasn't gotten back to me to discuss lenses and operation date.
Cheers,
Renato