Thread: DMK31 vs DMK21
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2008, 07:25 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Roman

The advice above is perfectly sound.

What telescope will you be using it with? And what focal length will you be imaging at?

If you're going to use a 12" or larger telescope, and imaging at longer than 11m focal length, the largest of the planets (Jupiter) will still (just) fit in the FOV of a 640x480 camera, with Jupiter pushing the boundaries of the 480px high resolution.

So if you're using a smaller telescope, your focal length will be shorter, and so 640x480 will be plenty enough resolution to image the planets.

PLUS, the DMK21 has the faster framerate for freezing the seeing and larger chip which increases sensitivity.

For lunar imaging, the DMK31 definitely has the advantage in terms of resolution (capturing more of the moon in one go), and less need to do mosaics etc. For the larger resolution, most computers wouldn't capture that much data at 60fps and mine would only capture at 15fps without dropping frames.

My experiences comparing the DMK21 with the Astrovid Voyager X, had me leaning towards the DMK21 in terms of sensitivity (the DMK31 uses the same chip as the Astrovid Voyager X).

Either way you can't go wrong, but i'd personally go for the DMK21 for planetary imaging and if you can afford it, buy the DMK41 for lunar imaging