Thread: Ap130gtx
View Single Post
Old 30-11-2017, 08:39 PM
happycamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Agreed, but these days there are a number of other makes that are AP's equal. 25 years ago, when I took delivery of one of the first 130EDTs there was no 5" refractor that could match it - most 6" & 8" scopes could not compete. The only scopes that were comparable were Vixen 102 fluorites and they behaved like a smaller version. Taks were never seen back then.
Nowadays, as Roland Christen himself states - you don't have to wait.
The TOA 130s are just as good. I reckon my CFF 132 is just as good - and it comes with a 3.5" Feathertouch. APMs and TECs are also in the same league.
Also have to second Peter Ward's comment on Questar 7" - not impressed when I observed through Max Gardner's scope at Wiruna many years ago. My AP 130EDT gave better views.
Yup, totally with you on the TAKs, CFFs and TECs - they're all quite awesome scopes. We're spoilt for choice at the high-end now... I've never looked through a TOA130 but i have to say i very much look forward to it, and yes, i've thought more than once about the CFF (185). Must be a wonderful view. But gee there's so much to see in the 130 first...

cheers!
HC

Last edited by happycamper; 30-11-2017 at 09:32 PM.