View Single Post
Old 24-03-2017, 01:59 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjphilli View Post
Hi

I have always used a Windows operating system and am currently persevering (if you can call it that) with Win 10.
I notice through this thread that some have changed over to Linux.
How successful is Linux in running Windows software? Lots of info on the net but also a lot of ifs and buts.

Cheers Peter
Peter,

For most (all?) common tasks Linux has quite good alternatives to or versions of Windows programs (eg browsers, email, office, drawing, CAD, skype and some astro programs).

To run Windows programs under Linux I believe WINE is the way to go. I've used it for some simple apps but in general I don't like it. It's probably better than I give it credit for but I just haven't persisted.

I use a program called VirtualBox to run Windows 7 and find it quite successful. I don't know how later versions of Win work except that the Windows upgrade tool complained about working in a virtual machine; that was a while ago and I forget the details. At the moment I use Windows to run Occult and Occultwatcher (for asteroid occultation work) as they need .NET and my wife uses Word for Office when she is collaborating with someone on a document that has lots of formatting because the compatibility of Office and LibreOffice isn't perfect. What Windows programs are you concerned about?