View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Dana - thanks for starting fantastic thread and a opening another opportunity for Robert to bring some very interesting stuff forward.

It's not an area of the LMC that I've done a lot of observing in as when I was making the charts I had no idea that it came down this far into Mensa. The best way I've found of identifying clusters in the LMC is to match coordinates in wikisky with the catalogue in Arcinal & Hynes' "Star Clusters". Hope to get a chance to sit down and do this soon and let you know what I come up with. From my limited capacity to understand much of what I read on the LMC, there seem to be only 13 of the GC like objects that are classed as GCs in the more recent stuff I've found. There used to be more classed as GCs but their much younger age and smaller masses compared to Milky Way GCs led to then being classed mostly as open clusters. The terms "blue globular" and "young populous cluster" seem to have been ditched.

And it may be that the stripping of material from the Magellanic Clouds might not be by the Milky Way or solely by the Milky Way. From my layman's understanding of this paper they may be on their first pass, or have a very wide orbit. The two clouds might be harassing each othe if this modelling is on the money. Again, major caveats for my ignorance.