View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:36 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Hello there, Dana,

Have you seen the very-deep LMC mosaic by our brilliant IIS astrophotographer Marco Lorenzi?
http://www.glitteringlights.com

We should search for similar images..... but with an even wider field!

I don't think I am going to make a serious assault on the problem of why these clusters are where they are, but here are some facts about LMC and SMC......
(I probably know less about the LMC than most people around here.....indeed, I tend to avoid it, for some reason. The literature on LMC is very specialized and remarkably extensive)

However, one thing I do know is that O and B stars can sometimes form, or exist, in out-of-the way places which are a long way from the optically-evident body of a galaxy. For instance, the M81 field is full of tiny knots of stars that are not in any way obviously associated with M81. As another example, faint extensions of the very distended HI (neutral atomic hydrogen) that is associated with M83 have formed stars at enormous radial distances from M83.

There is plenty of extended HI gas associated with the LMC. Indeed, in observations of the two-dimensional (apparent)(as observed from our line-of-sight) distribution of this cold atomic hydrogen gas, the LMC looks like a normally rotating spiral galaxy with fairly well-behaved spiral arms:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LMC in HI.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	159180

Just how very extensive and extended the gas distribution is in the vicinity of the LMC and the SMC can be seen in this map of the HI gas distribution over the sky in the vicinity of these two galaxies:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magellanic Stream.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	159181

The hyper-extended gas distribution in the Magellanic Stream is usually held to be caused by one or both of these mechanisms:

(1) Tidal interactions of the LMC and the SMC with the Milky Way

(2) Stripping of the interstellar medium from the SMC and LMC by the effects of a hypothetical hot & distended gaseous halo of the Milky Way.
(arxiv 1211.0758 discusses the prospects for a hot (million degree) gas halo around our own Galaxy)

From these facts, I think we can safely conclude that the raw materials for ongoing star formation exist in some very unusual locations that are a long way from the most obvious parts of the Magellanic Clouds.
Also, it does seem possible that in the complex interactions that have taken place between LMC and SMC and the Milky Way, stars and clusters have been ripped out of the Magellanic clouds and have ended up a long way from them.