View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 11:15 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Guys, you have it all wrong! This is awesome for outreach!

While the hype can be disturbing, poor is us if we give in cynically to our own disdain of it, and not see it as an opportunity!

Of course the blooming Moon looks EXACTLY the same! But here you now have a captive audience!! A rare moment in our favour to talk to people about astro when they are actually excited at something they can actually see and even relate to!

I LOVE outreach. Heck, I've even started doing sidewalk astronomy as I just don't get enough outreach!

<hello, my name is Alex, and I have an astro problem...">

The supermoon is blooming GOLD! for me! It should be the same for you too.

Put up all your links. Post all your equations. Voice your disgust. All you are doing is hurting all of us and what we enjoy doing.

A couple of years ago I went to the north headland at Maroubra Beach for another supermoon event. I couldn't believe the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of people, singles, couples, FAMILIES all standing along the coast where I was. It was blooming AMAZING! So many people all curious about what WE take for granted. How can this be bad for outreach??? My only regret about that night was not having a scope with me to share with people.

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 20-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.