View Single Post
Old 25-02-2014, 08:30 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Am I wrong to think that every fast scope will have rather limited back focus? Should I worry that in some of these scopes it isn't possible to use both an Atlas + MMOG? I know that Mike uses the SX OAG but that is with a small camera. Just how feasable is it to guide through a guide scope at 1300-1500 mm? Reasonable? Then I may not need to guide if the MEII lives up to expectations....
Yes, going down a Starlightxpress with OAG outfit route you should be fine, I think the only configuration that you may have to confirm is the big ProLine/MicroLine or STX + filter wheel working with an MMOAG...I believe it is doable but it would be very tight - talk with the manufacturer.

Re piggy back guiding with a fast Newt - the three biggies are

1) Make sure the primary mirror is perfectly held within the main mirror holder so it can't move and without imparting any stress forces on the glass - an easy adjustment.
2) Make sure the OTA support rings are as far apart as possible - you can customise the mounting plate length or make it adjustable OO will provide any length you desire with multiple hole attachment points for the rings so you can space the rings as you like
3) Use a small light guide scope and guide camera (the Loadstar is excellent) that are both rigidly attached to the system and preferably to the OTA

It is the differential flexure that you want to minimise but if you do these three things and you should be fine

Quote:
I'm very intrigued by those designs that allow the scope to fuction both as fast and at longer FL too.
Yes - an awesome capability for sure

Peter

Last edited by strongmanmike; 25-02-2014 at 08:40 AM.