View Single Post
Old 27-01-2017, 08:47 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

You can now buy the Sky Shed observatories with the hollow walls filled with foam insulation. Not sure about the dome. If you are ordering a new one that would be the time to get the insulation in. In the USA it is $60 per panel.

Personally, I would think if you provided some "weep" holes where excess foam could escape and went more to under filling then fully filling the cavity that it should work.

If I were going to try this I would do it in a wall panel and lay it flat so the foam would rise that way as opposed to standing in place where expanding foam could get locked in. you could pour the liquid in and spread it around.

You could take the panel or dome off so you could roll the thing around as the foam cured, again so you would be less likely to get a sealed area were pressure would build up.

Try it in a bucket to test the volume expansion.

Frankly I also like the idea of the Styrofoam beads if you already have one and are concerned about the expanding foam. You would be looking for EPS, expanded polystyrene beads in bulk or it would be too expensive.

I don't have one of these observatories but I have been looking at them.