View Single Post
Old 20-01-2017, 04:01 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Allan,

Your spending a lot of money on the scope so I think its worth over specking your observatory a touch to make sure it works really well. If you have some headroom in your budget.

While thermal management is critical with a large scope its equally important to make sure you have no movement in the floor whatsoever. No point having good thermals enabling you to get to high magnification, only to have this compromised with some movement in the floor.

Timber will work really well but you need to make sure its really well seasoned and not going to shrink. I haven't seen those "mega anchors, so I can't comment on those.

Consider using short brick piers, consider reducing the space between centres on both your floor joists and bearers. Consider going up one size in the dimensions of both your floor joists and bearers. Consider using 25mm compressed fibre cement sheet, or 25mm compressed chipboard for the flooring. I always think its way better to spend a few extra dollars and way over engineer something in the beginning, as opposed to spending a large amount of dollars retro fixing something that doesn't do what it was designed to do.

Cheers,
John B