Thread: Pentax DSLR
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2005, 07:47 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I would suggest that no matter what you buy that you go to your local dealer and fire some shots out the door with each type of camera. I did that, and arrived at the conclusion that the performance of the Canon was better and reviews I read backed that up. As Kearn said, normal daylight photo's don't show up the flaws, but things like edges of buildings, lamp posts and shadow detail will give an idea of chromatic abberation and noise/compression problems is shadow detail. I found that in the test shots I took that the 1stDS had quite noticeable compression artifacts in the shadow detail, they may not have been apparent in raw images, but I didn't have the option of testing that thoroughly at the time. The Sigma lens on offer with the 1stDS had severe CA (purple fringing) at the extremeties of the image, once again if I had taken an average pic the abberation may not have been apparent. I would have liked to have had more time with the 1stDS, it's a nice lightweight DSLR and as master h0ughy has shown is capable of excellent results. As h0ughy says the 1stDS is excellent value.