View Single Post
Old 25-08-2018, 09:09 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi again, sorry for bringing this post back up again, Apologizes.
Go my Dobsonian out again tonight, being a good clear night apart from the near full moon.
I tried to to the two star alignment again, but failed miserably, something i am doing must obviously be wrong or is it possible that i have a faulty unit?
Got everything spot on this time round, base is perfectly flat and level, have Synscanlnit 2.1 to tell me the correct details to enter into the GOTO hand held unit and SkySafari 5 Plus to tell me what stars are what.
So i set the Dobsonian up so it was facing North and the tube flat so it was reading 0 on the side scale.
Entered the details exactly as it was on Synscanlnit 2.1
Then selected a two star alignment, I went with Fomalhaut as the first and and Altair as the second, as they were up at about the same height in the sky and roughly close to 90 degrees apart.
Lined up the first star and centred it, then scope slew around for the second star, it got the height about right but was about almost 120 degrees off.
So i decided to turn it all off and start of with the scope facing South this time, same thing except this time is ended up about 90 - 120 degrees off.

Not sure what is going on now as the stars are correct, should i be doing a factory reset? or is it possible that there might be a faulty unit?
I am guessing it is just me, but a little stumped right now,
I can tell you what the coordinates i am putting in right at the start from Synscanlnit 2.1 if that might help at all?

Just a little frustrating at the moment, everything is setup spot on level wise at least.