View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Paul there have been several threads about PEC corrections on PMX using the Sky X. Mine works but others haven't. I am not sure mine is working as well as it should but have no attention on it as I am getting round stars at moderate focal length.

I would forget using Sky X for PEC and just go with Pempro.

Greg.

Hmmm so that means it might not work at all??? I might have to invest in pempro.

I am getting round stars but the guiding looks like it is following the PE curve in RA. I do need to test to see if the PEC has taken effect and do another run on the PEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
So, Paul, why is your polar alignment off so much that things are "sliding downhill." Isn't that just going to make your guiding even tougher?

Perhaps off topic but I have lately become quite enamoured of PA using PEMpro. The drift routine works really well and you can make adjustments in real time. I do this right around dec=0, then run a large T-Point model and ignore the PA report. Run the super model and you get great pointing and good Protrack. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the T-Point PA report. Only that it takes some time to run, make an adjustment, run to confirm, run another adjustment, etc...then finally you run a really large model and possibly find out it's saying something different about PA. As long as PA is close (and it's a compromise no matter how you do it) T-Point will do the rest.

For me, with a very obstructed view to the east, this routine gives me quite consistent results. Some testing I did showed me that my PA report out of T-Point would change quite a bit depending on how far to the west I collected points. When I collected points eqidistant from the meridian the T-Point report was quite similar to the PEMpro drift alignment. Even the author of T-Point indicated that setting PA in this manner (i.e., drift aligning around dec=0) was a reasonable compromise.

Peter
Yes interesting point. Over 15 minutes the star drifted about 10 pixels. So the PA seems reasonable. All the way through the 400 point run it said no need to make any adjustments to either axis. However once the super model was applied it now says move the MA tighten right 3.2 tics and ME lower 1.6 tics.

Pointing is very good. at 42 arc seconds that is good for the focal length over that large a model. Using a smaller model it was tighter but all sky pointing is probably more important in the end.

I am tempted to just do a manual PA run and then do a model. Pempro might be worth investigating. I have a lot of CCDware stuff so one more programme will not hurt either.

Tell me more about this phase issue for the southern hemisphere?