View Single Post
Old 15-04-2020, 01:54 PM
bgilbert (Barry gilbert)
barryg

G'day Ray.

. As an radio amatuer and amateur radio astronomer, I felt that your comment about " RF design techniques" was a bit of a put down. But then I remembered that I spent 45 years in the communication industry (microHz to 300 TeraHz) and could confidently respond, although my physics is a bit pathetic, as you have already gathered. i'll give it a go though. One of the biggest breakthroughs in fibre optics, was frequency domain multiplexing. using heterodyne techniques from circa(1930) radios.

. The PSF in your telescope, that you just, "put up with", cos most astronomers don't understand it. A QM, would probably tell you it's the uncertainty principle kicking in, or some such "twaddle". If you asked an old RF bloke, he'd say, the're just sidelobes we can eliminate (almost) or control those. Opticians have tried "apodization" without much success.

. Then there is those spider vanes in newtonians, and the spikes they produce (some astronomers have learnt to luv em?). I don't think they like the crappy PSF that the central obstruction causes in newts and some new designs coming onto the scene. Whatever you do, don't ask a QM to help you, they are busy with inflation, many worlds, dark stuff, entanglement etc.

RF bloke,
Barry

Last edited by bgilbert; 15-04-2020 at 02:05 PM.