View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
PeterM

Hi Craig,

This is such a good post from you I really appreciate it.

I am well aware of the merging model for type1a SN and I should have (as I have done in prior threads) noted "or the merging of WDs". The link is something I will print and read fully later, thanks indeed for that.

What really is exciting for me in your post is that it says to me astronomers are still looking at what is happening with Supernova. Not long after my first discovery I had two interesting comments made to me. The great Bob Evans noted on the apparent lack of follow up observations by professionals that Supernova were "not sexy anymore" and by another "we know so much about supernova that professionals were busy with other important discoveries"
I think exoplanet discoveries and the race find more of these had probably become the new "sexy" in astronomy taking telescope time and funding. I suppose the GFC probably had its impact felt on funding for professional observatories also, perhaps grants were more likely if you were a pro discovering exoplanets.

For an amateur like me you then started to ask yourself is it worth all the expense and considerable time in imaging, blinking etc if it all came to naught.
Well clearly what you present shows that we do not know everything about SN and models are under scrutiny. For me I think this is backed up by the enthusiasm and response the BOSS team get from professional astronomers particularly in Chile and South Africa. In wanting to follow up our discoveries they are very willing to break into existing programmes (this is amazing in itself) to obtain a spectra and all because an amateur in a tin shed with modest equipment found something that maybe a SN. A revitalised interest from professional is just the shot in the arm for amateurs like me. and the BOSS team.

Your last paragraph is interesting and thought provoking - hmmm BOSS experts? well ok at finding and reporting them perhaps. So what can a well equipped advanced amateur do to contribute further to SN science? Aside from finding them and doing light curves I don't know and perhaps others here have some ideas. Infact we could run this very question by the several professionals we have contact with to see what they think. I do wonder how faint amateurs can go with obtaining a spectra that may be useful as there are still SN fainter than mag 16 particularly in the South that don't get quick follow up.

A good thought provoking post like so many you write Craig. You have added to my enthusiasm to find another.

Thanks

Last edited by PeterM; 10-12-2011 at 10:10 AM.