View Single Post
Old 29-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Alex,

I had (still have) an asi1600 OSC and I loved it. Easy to use and suited my imaging style.

After seeing all the narrowband shots doing the rounds I thought I'd take the plunge and go mono to allow me to do the narrowband and LRGB imaging. I purchased an asi 1600 pro. The ability to image with the moon with NB was an attractive option too!

To be honest I regret the decision and miss the ease of use with the OSC. Life becomes a lot more complicated balancing image captures and making sure you get enough exposure on each filter. The issue I've found is that I may plan an image run...get great exposures on LR&G....but clouds or some other issue comes up and I miss out on B! Yes, I can wait until the next clear night to grab that elusive B filter but with the OSC it didn't matter....I just processed a little less exposure time.

I've also not seen the image quality i was getting with the OSC. I'm sure it's my abilities and in time I will see an improvement but hey....is the improvement in images worth the extra effort? (I'm not sure on this yet, the jury is still out).

I have evn tossed up removing the mono and replacing it with the OSC that is still sitting in the cupboard.......the only reason I haven't is I like a challenge and from everything I read mono imaging is supposed to be the only was to go

My 2 cents from personal experience