View Single Post
Old 21-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Carlton,

I had a C3/C4 discectomy (removal of the disc between vertebrae) and laninectomy (removal of bone over-growth surrounding the sciatic nerve root), installation of a dynamic stabilisation device (big rubber band around C3 & C4 that restricts movement bone-on-bone), but no replacement "artificial disc" way back in 2006. What remained of that disc was in five fragments before the procedure.

20 years of on-off pain then 3 years of near constant high level pain before the procedure.

Haven't looked back and have been 99.999% pain free ever since. I was in less pain an hour after the operation than the hour before the operation and haven't looked back. My surgeon was a neurosurgeon, Dr Mark Davies Kogarah Hospital in Sydney -- one of Australia's most accomplished neuro-surgeons.

My next-door (next farm-gate) neighbour had the same procedure around the same time in QLD -- different surgeon, but included the installation of a carbon-fibre replacement disc. The procedure was carried out by an orthopaedic surgeon. He has less pain nowadays but still in significant pain and on high-levels of pain relief.

One major piece of advice (backed by the opinions of three physiotherapists I know): if you are going to have that op, get it done by a neuro-surgeon, not an orthopaedic surgeon. They use much more refined tools whereas Orthopaedic surgeons use the basic tools of carpentry. Higher chances of success + swifter recovery.

When I had mine done, a guy in the next room had his done by an orthopaedic surgeon three days before me. I went in on Monday and was out Friday afternoon. On the day I left, he was still using a walking-frame doing rehab. I walked out the door with my suitcase in my hand.

Lots of people see varying results. Mine was fantastic, your mileage may vary.

Best,

L.
Thanks for that, all good information.

Yup, mine is being done by a Neuro-surgeon, Dr Eric Guazzo (based in Townsville). He has come highly recommended by a few folk I know who have been under his knife for other spine related issues.

I'm pretty much where you were... 18 years since first diagnosis, 15 years of moderate pain & discomfort with associated muscle spasms from mild nerve compression.. last two years increasing pain levels & horrendous pins & needles in arms & hands... last 12 months, near agony... kept tolerable with 400mg of Tramadol per day..

Nerves exiting c3/4 on both sides are essentially being crushed every time I move... Last cortizone shot they tried, the Dr showed me how he barely had room to get the needle in....

Seeing the surgeon this afternoon, a few more questions to ask but, leaning heavily towards the disc replacement. Whilst it's only been around now about 10 - 12 years, there seems to be some significant advantages in having the disc replacement vs fusion such as less invasive, greater mobility & less stress on surrounding joints as well as faster recovery time. Discs now are surgical steel, kinda like articulated joints.. can't think of another way to describe them..

Main issue is whether or not the foundations for the disc replacement are solid enough to ensure a good result... this is what I will be discussing today... I know my surgeon has some minor reservations based on it being the upper limit of where it can be done.. again, that's what we'll be discussing today.. final pro's & con's analysis.. decision & then booked in for 3 days in Townsville hospital...

Ultimately, I just want the pain to go, I can handle some movement limits (can't be any worse than my current limited range of movement I suspect) just to be pain free would be good..

Cheers

Carlton