View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 12:15 PM
PRejto (Peter)

So, Paul, why is your polar alignment off so much that things are "sliding downhill." Isn't that just going to make your guiding even tougher?

Perhaps off topic but I have lately become quite enamoured of PA using PEMpro. The drift routine works really well and you can make adjustments in real time. I do this right around dec=0, then run a large T-Point model and ignore the PA report. Run the super model and you get great pointing and good Protrack. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the T-Point PA report. Only that it takes some time to run, make an adjustment, run to confirm, run another adjustment, etc...then finally you run a really large model and possibly find out it's saying something different about PA. As long as PA is close (and it's a compromise no matter how you do it) T-Point will do the rest.

For me, with a very obstructed view to the east, this routine gives me quite consistent results. Some testing I did showed me that my PA report out of T-Point would change quite a bit depending on how far to the west I collected points. When I collected points eqidistant from the meridian the T-Point report was quite similar to the PEMpro drift alignment. Even the author of T-Point indicated that setting PA in this manner (i.e., drift aligning around dec=0) was a reasonable compromise.

Peter