View Single Post
Old 28-01-2014, 08:58 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Paul,

Are you saying your uncorrected PE is over 7 arc-sec peak to peak. If so, you really might want to get a new worm from Software Bisque, or try the worm you already have for declination (just swap them!). 7 really seems too high. My MX, even with it's weird slew problem, had under 3 arc-sec peak to peak, and corrected to well under 1 arc-sec. It may be that something needs adjusting which would correct both your PE and guiding issue. Personally I'd have a real close look at the 1/4-20s (the two hex bolts on opposing ends of the worm). These hold the worm against the ring gear and are not too hard to adjust -though best done by two people. First loosen both bolts, then press upwards to engage the worm as deep into the gear as possible. Then simultaneously tighten both hex bolts. After that take Greg's advice and readjust the cam-stop. You shouldn't be able to feel any free play if done correctly. Also, while you are at it check the positioning of the plungers. They should be 2.25-2.5 turns out.

Re PEC....I don't know what program you used to measure and implement this but the jury is still out re TSX. For sure PEMpro works and I've had terrific results. You might want to give the free trial a go.

Anyway, perhaps these ideas will fix up your guiding mystery.
Good luck,

Peter (mountless and waiting for SB to send back a repaired unit!)

I was referring to the same thing not the cam stop. Those 2 bolts control the tension on the worm. Too loose and you get slop and slippage on the gears with little pressure. Too tight and you will get stalls.

As you say 2.25 to 2.5 turns out from fully closed is SB advice for tension.

In the real world that is just an estimate and you need to do practice slews with various tensions until its just before it starts to stall sometimes. It feels firm, no gear slippage under reasonable pressure and little backlash with no oscillating guiding.

Greg.