View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
So, who's brave enough to guinea pig a scope?...
I'll volunteer to finder paint the inside of a suitably wide OTA if someone wants to donate. lol

I agree though having used this paint practically I would trust it to the inside of a diy ota and say inside a diagonal. I've been using it deliberately onto things like anodosed and bare aluminium, bare plastic etc without primer just to give it the worst chance of sticking. I dont have it on anything subject to rain to see about water resistance.

It may be something Merlin could experiement with spectroscopy to see if its interesting in its absorption properties. May indicate if it'd be good for heat absorbing applications like solar water heater or or solar convection heater tubes. I'm not really set up to do a bunch of testing along those lines. But its for art and what they really mean by Black I dont know, blackest art I know are those cheesy painting on black velvet from the 70's so maybe if someone has one to throw away I could paint half and see if it Blacker.

I did experiment with the Black V3.0 Paint and the Glowiest glow powder Mixed up in a small pot the glow powder doesnt disolve away into the paint but neither did the paint go an ugly colour, still looks black in the pot and when painted but hit it with a uv torch and the glow shows up. For X-files fans do you recall the episode of the bugs that came from a growth ring in an old tree that was illegally cut down and they would swarm and cocoon people, they formed a greasy film over everything and were dormant in the light but glowed in the shadows. The effect they used to show the glowing effect in the dark is what this mixture does. Its damn weird and odd to look at, sort of even speckly effect rather than a smooth even glow. No idea what if anything I'll use it for. Could be useful for maybe aircraft cockpit instrumentation, dial backgrounds etc then with a small uv led in your display case itd show up that night vision style glow. I also added some to a pot of blue and another of satin clear. Same deal with those, weird glowy effect but it doesnt effect the colour of the host paint except the clear is a little flegmy looking in the pot.. Got some fantasy gaming figurines I painted with an electric blue scheme so I added to a blue pot to add on and I'll like to have display lighting thats nice white but with some uv in there to stimulate this stuff. The clear goes on untinted clear but adds the glow effect too so i could have stuck with that on my figures instead of devoting a blue pot specifically. I guess I should use the glowblack on black parts of gear for ownership, paint whatever I want then coat whole surface with clear.

I did notice a recent kickstarter campaign that seems to be a drop of this paint (or similar) sandwiched between two pieces of glass as a "black hole" for you to gaze into and meditate on. Dont have square glass plates to try this on. I was really hoping to use this stuff to make a black backdrop to a 3d scanner setup or to use in my lightbox. Does say not to drink the stuff, so there goes my idea of dressing up as an octopus and sitting in a pool drinking the water