View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar in Bin View Post
Thanks for that guidance Greg. Don't want to get in to changing focus tubes at this stage so the 8300 it is. Now just a matter of choosing between SBIG and FLI.
I am a fan of FLI but if it were my decision I'd go the SBIG as guiding is a big deal in imaging and you can't compromise with autoguiding in the slightest if you want the top images.

Unfortunately FLI do not offer any guiding solutions and in that regard they are heavily lacking in an overall package. You can add on a MOAG off axis guider and a guide camera. But as Chris pointed out once you add all that together it would be a lot more expensive. Also I am not that impressed with FLI filter wheels. They are expensive and the front cover is too weak. The thread depth for adapters is too shallow, they flex under load and adapters thread need to be very short otherwise they clip the filter screws. But they work fine and are reliable and are repeatable.

Some of these issues have been addressed with newer models but not price. The Apogee filter wheel is a lot nicer. SBIG filter wheels I have had were fine.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 06-02-2012 at 02:42 PM.