View Single Post
Old 19-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Paul Haese

Weird, the forum will not quote Peter's comments.

Just to respond, I have a small contingency plan in place if the mirror does not come up to spec. I have spent a fair bit of time talking to them about my concerns and they have made promises. If their promises don't come through I'll use my contingency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I think it time to recommission the good old RC Paul. Or has that been sold?

I'd be calling for a refund - I have been reading more and more issues on the web from Stargazers Lounge to CN.
No the RC is undergoing commissioning in the other observatory at present. Still some fine tuning to be completed but all works under automation, so stand by for some new images.

I have sent emails to various people who have dealt with them recently and received a good scope. I have read quite a few complaints but law of averages says I will get something reasonable. I think it is worth continuing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
HI Paul - although ASA now do their own mirrors, they used to use OOUK, and I heard a similar swag of horror stories about ASA while waiting 2 years for mine. Although they're undoubtedly true, you don't hear so much noise from satisfied customers, so I figured the odds were in my favour and they were. I got (eventually!) a nice scope with great optics, and odds are you will too. Unfortunately, for the price we pay it shouldn't be a crap-shoot though!
I think you will get the same 3" Wynne corrector - at least you can be satisfied that it's the best in the business.
cheers,
Andrew.
This is my thinking too Andrew. I have seen great images coming out of Chile with a scope that was delivered only a bit over a year ago. And; I think you are correct about the Wynne corrector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
Orion UK mirrors have done very well in the past . Some users here on IIS are happy (Michael Sidonio, John Hothersall come to mind) and the mirrors tested by Wolfgang Rohr were good
( http://r2.astro-foren.com/index.php/...rwandte-fragen )
- Rohr's translated comment on one was: "They are high quality mirrors and worth their money - even if they do not have a Zygo certificate. And if this mirror is
properly adjusted in the system, well cooled, and also causes the catch mirror no annoyance, if finally the seeing allows all wishes, then this mirror should allow very high-contrast observations."
I read through those reviews, just further evidence of the possibilities. Thanks for that Ray.