View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 09:08 AM
mmalik (Mike)

Notes from the field...

Operationalizing the cooler, in the filed that is, and integrating into my routine were major goals of mine. What I meant is I wanted to develop a cooler that was no additional burden than what it takes to handle the camera, setup and image otherwise. Good news is it was a pleasure to use; fan wasn't noisy at all. There were no vibrations as I have elaborated many posts back how those were mitigated. There was no internal condensation; I had descant solution in place as well which I have also elaborated in my previous posts. Having somewhat of an enclosed sensor chamber with round LPS filter attached to the far end of the camera adapter and desiccant inside the chamber is a good setup in my opinion to prevent any un-necessary condensation in high humidity environments.

Overall quite pleased with the ease of use and non-intrusive nature of the cooler; it let's you setup everything before cooling cable is attached between camera and the PSU. I have extensive inventory of parts if more folks would like to have a go at the testing.

I plan to do more testing in coming weeks as moon cycles and weather permit; I wouldn't call it testing anymore since it is now more of an ongoing use that I would like to get accustomed to so it no longer feels like something extra which it actually isn't. I keep cooler attached all the time so I don't have to worry about detaching/attaching routine and/or handling thermal conducting pads. Battery door is not affected so changing battery is easy. Cooler is not heavy so camera handling feels normal. I think you get the idea... it is the seamless use of the camera that was one of my pet peeves and I seemed to have managed it with your help.

If I have not been able to describe in words, following is what I mean...

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC01298.JPG)
80.3 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (DSC01293.JPG)
75.4 KB15 views