View Single Post
Old 15-07-2013, 02:57 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerco View Post
Marc,
I am getting a second hand QHY8 tomorrow so from what I have read about misting problems I am interested.
Hi Roger, make sure you silicon around the power, s-Video and USB ports to make it air tight. I also gaffer taped the body. It comes into two alu clam shells. Tape the seam.

Quote:
When you insert the tube what orientation do you have the rubber plug hole, is Argon heavier or lighter than air?
Yes it is heavier. Shove the hose in on the side (top). I use a paper tissue for etancheity. Body orientation... like when you fill a cuppa I guess. Fill from the top. Let it purge from the bottom.

Quote:
I notice from the instructions on the gas bottle label it says "don't let the contents escape to the atmosphere". Is this an issue? I am thinking it would be hard to weld without having it escape.
Unscrew the nosepiece slightly so the stale air comes out. As I said 15s max with a good flow so you get circulation. You can hear it. Screw nosepiece then replug hole with rubber. Good enough.

Refrigeration gases such as R-22/11/12 etc... are thightly regulated and I know by law installers have to purge large units and account for all the gas minus leaks when they discard ducted systems, etc... We're talking about large quantities. What you pump in your camera is minimal. Also argon welding releases some of the gas as well when the arc goes off and you still need to run the gas until the weld goes from red to cold or you'll get corrosion.

Quote:
Is the tap fitting available from BOG or Gasweld? From the label I take it that it is an outright purchase on the cylinder not a rental.
Yes. I bought it at the same place I got the canister from. Outright purchase yes. $26.00. WHen I'm done with it I'll probably take the bottle back and buiy a new one. I think they must be recycling them or dispose of them somehow.
Shop's here. Product's here.