View Single Post
Old 29-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Matt

This is a most difficult choice and one which I went through, although finances prevented me from realistically including the F2.8 in my list!

I’ve got the 70-200mm F4L IS and fortunately, with hindsight, it turned out to be the best lens for me. Big features for my applications are the relatively small physical size, its light weight – it is an easy lens to wear all day long, fits in a medium sized camera bag, has very fast auto focus and is as sharp as the proverbial razor.

I find myself operating mostly at the 200mm end of the range, but have used the 70mm end sufficiently enough to avoid any feelings of remorse in not just getting the 200mm F2.8 prime.

In terms of IS, it has been very useful on a few occasions where I would probably have missed the shot without it. Generally, if I know that I’m going to be shooting at low shutter speeds, I’ll take my carbon fibre tripod rather than rely on IS. If I want to pixel peep and obtain the sharpest photos possible, I would always try to use a tripod, remote release and the mirror lock up via Live View.

With IS, I am comforted by the knowledge that it is there if needed, although I always try to minimize the need to use it. It does appear to work exactly as stated.

Cheers

Dennis