Thread: Mount Purchase
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2021, 09:54 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
It seems a bit of a conflicted mount. Good drive but bad PE.

I judge mounts almost exclusively on their PE. The trend is also for unguided with almost zero PE such as AP Mach 2 GTO using encoders.

I guess if the PE is very smooth then it may guide out easily but I would not want to rely only on guiding as that can be quite hit or miss and is a bit of an art by itself.

I am not sure what the advantage is of these drives if they have high PE. Backlash is more of a low end mount issue.

These mounts are competing with some pretty high performing mounts in that price bracket.

Greg.
And I think think that's why harmonic drive mounts are still in their infancy. The real advantage of such drives really just for their weight to payload ratio; therefore for transportability/travel. For now, the PEs are somewhat addressed by guiding, although the newer RainbowAstro RST135E with encoders are looking to be interesting.

A question would be, would the prices go down if there's greater adoption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
I already have a Losmandy G11 looking for something a little more precise and accurate
Whilst researching into @codemonkey's Mesu 200, I came across the Gemini Telescope Design GTD E.Fric friction drive. Unlike the Mesu (or other friction drive-based mounts), it doesn't use encoders so it's priced somewhat more reasonably. There has been some other adopters in the other forums however insufficient to draw definitive conclusions.