View Single Post
Old 26-07-2015, 08:26 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

SX674 power issues

A little while ago I bought a Trius SX674 secondhand. Ever since the night I first tried to use it in the field I've had power issues with it.

First night I tried to use it in the field it blew a brand new cigarette-lighter cable. I didn't have any spares, so that put an end to that night.

Next night it blew yet another one. This time I had a backup, which I used successfully for a couple of nights.

Then the final backup blew as well, this time taking out the 4-way cigarette lighter splitter that I had as well.

Around about this time I got a new dew heater controller. I thought I'd try that cable, even though it was starting to seem that the camera was the issue rather than the cables. This actually seemed to work and I've had a number of good imaging sessions since.

Last night I got a few subs (focus ruined sadly) of M8 while having the camera plugged in to the mains adapter by way of an inverter to my larger AGM battery. No worries.

Tonight I go up to the paddock and try to plug the "kendrick cable" into the 674; the camera doesn't turn on and the light on the cable goes out. In fact, it was connected to the battery via a two-way splitter and the light on the other cable went out too. Unplug the cable and the light comes back on. Plug the cable into the external fan the camera comes with and the fan powers up immediately. Unplug from fan, plug into camera, light goes off and camera does not come on. I tried another cable with the same results.

Then when I gave up and came back to the house, I tried plugging it in to the main power supply and it fired up straight away. What the...

Anybody have any suggestions? Pretty frustrated at this point. Don't think I'll be laying out such a large sum of money on second-hand electrical gear again...