Thread: Monopods
View Single Post
Old 22-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Mike

I’ve been through a couple of monopods, mainly as part of my experimental / learning curve phase for macro photography.

I found the Manfrotto Neotec 658B with a PhotClam ball head very useful in supporting my macro rig and working shrubbery from hip to shoulder high. For walk about macro shooting at constantly changing heights, I found it a little difficult to set it to the right height quickly, despite the quick release trigger.

For walk about ad-hoc height macro shooting, I use a Giottos carbon fibre twist lock monopod but I use it like a stick; that is, I grip the shaft of the monopod along with my rig, slide my hand up and down the shaft, and then apply a firm grip when I am at the right height. Advantages are that the CF monopod collapses to a small, lightweight package for transportation and carrying. It allows me to operate at different heights reasonably rapidly, without having to make any adjustments, other than relaxing or tightening my grip. As my macro ring has an ADM guide scope ring, I can easily squeeze the ring against the monopod shaft tor rapid use.

For telephoto use, I prefer to carry a carbon fibre tripod so I can support the camera/lens without the need to be constantly holding/supporting the camera. I rarely use a monopod for my bird in flight shots.

The Giottos carbon fibre, twist lock monopods and tripods are excellent value for money and function very well. However, when I got a Gitzo CF tripod, I was amazed at how it became “invisible” when I used it. That is, the set up, performance and operation were so slick and smooth that operating it just flowed with my actions, without slowing me down or being fiddly.

In my experience, a monopod does not really offer a stable shooting platform like a tripod, nor does it relieve you of the weight of the camera/lens. However, it does support the weight, thus reducing fatigue; it limits the range of unwanted movement so you should be able to get better shots and it also allows you to stay on the action rather than having to lift the camera to your eye to then locate the action.

Cheers

Dennis