View Single Post
Old 26-06-2017, 03:41 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I use a cheap tripod dolly I got on ebay for my 6in scope and would like something stronger to get my 11" back into use. My stroke left me without the use of one arm and the dolly has allowed me to continue enjoying astronomy in my limited capacity. So I compromised by configuring my setup once in the garage at my leisure and wheel it outside to use, no messing about changing/swapping stuff in the dark.

But for me I also have sloping ground and to get back to using my scopeasaurus I would need something like this with a hand control to guide it outside without it running away and operational brakes from the hand too to ensure it stays put. the foot things are a bit of problem. I did find a guy in america who made an electric tripd dolly rig for large scope tripods with a hand control, but still way beyond my price range. Anyone have ideas for wheels with hand controlable/lockable breaks? The OP's triangle platform thing I could hinge a plank to that to serve to steer a rig in/out but would need to have brake controls on the end of the plank too. ideally good wheels for any direction smooth travel, not shopping trolley steering. I could probably build something maybe and would also need to consider the platform should pretty much hug the ground, i'm unsure how high my scope would be when reassembled and if it would even clear the garage door. But its EQ so I may need to rework my "home" position for it. It'll be a long term project for me, money is still a struggle, but I really dont want to give up on being able to do some imaging with my main scope or just sell it.

I know some forklifts now have those strange wheels that can let you move omnidirectional and maybe something like that would be good but probably expensive. I assume they need powering and a control unit too. I think something with a good cable operated break system so i can control it on down slope without it running down into neighbours living room. maybe anti antigrav hoverboard of some kind? for a fiver? with mind control steering?